"Your body is the baggage you must carry through life. The more excess the baggage, the shorter the trip."
~Arnold H. Glasgow



Thursday, February 10, 2011

Just an update...

Here's an update on how things are going for me being 4 1/2 months out from surgery...

I am down just about 74lbs. and 40 inches. I can't remember the last time I physically felt this good...its been a LONG time! I can really start to tell a difference in myself...especially when the clothes start getting big and the size I'm wearing keeps going down. I'm extremely grateful for the love and support I continue to receive from my wonderful husband, kids and other family and friends. I feel very blessed to be making this HUGE change in my life...it's one of the hardest things I've ever had to go through, but I know in the end it is DEFINITELY all worth it!

Exercising-Recently since its been so darn cold here and I haven't been able to go walking outside I have been rotating my workout dvd's to get my exercise in. I absolutely LOVE Leslie Sansone!!! Her walking dvd's are amazing! I love how they are easy to follow, you can make the workout as intense or low impact as you like, and its fun! I have 2 of her walking dvd's. I also have the old school Tae Bo dvd, which is a great one to use as well. Since we are going to cancel our gym membership I figured I better get re-acquainted with my workout dvd's and I'm really glad I did! I'm making the best out of what we have and as soon as it gets warm, walking around the neighborhood will be an added bonus!

Diet- Jason and I decided a few weeks back that we were no longer going to be eating out anymore...unless it was a special date night, which are few and far between. We reduced our trips to pick up fast food dramatically after I had my surgery but we were still making a few trips a month even after my surgery just because it was convenient. For myself, it was becoming extremely hard to not want to eat what my kids and hubby were getting, we couldn't afford it anymore, and its just not good for any of us to eat anyways. So, currently it's been almost 3 weeks and we have not eaten out once! What a great feeling! Some of the things that have helped me are...1.) I make a 2 week menu so I know what I have to cook each night. Along with making the menu I make my grocery list and do my shopping for 2 weeks. I got this idea from a show that I watch called The Food Nanny. If you haven't seen her show on the BYU channel, check it out...she's amazing! She mainly stresses the importance of cooking meals at home, and making dinner time a priority for your family. Love, love, love her! On her website, www.thefoodnanny.com, she has downloadable copies of her 2 week blank menu's and a downloadable grocery list...both have been great tools for me to use in making this change for our family. She even has a cookbook out with tons of easy, yummy recipes that I frequently check out from our local library. 2.) I also organized our deep freezer and cupboards to see all the food we have. We are using up the food we have before going out and buying more. It not only has saved us $$ on our grocery bill for when we do go shopping but I know our checkbook thanks us as well!lol I'm picking recipes I know we can all eat and enjoy. There may be some things I can't have, but overall I'm still able to sit down and enjoy dinner with my family.

Troubles- There haven't been any real troubles throughout my journey thus far. I don't throw up, thank goodness, but I have had food get stuck, which is almost worse. Thankfully that hasn't happened in quite a while, which is just fine with me. I'm trying to get better at making sure I get my water intake in (64oz. a day minimum) and making sure I take all my daily vitamins (5 per day). I basically try to make each day and week better than the last. I'm very pleased with my progress thus far and I know that there can always be set backs in life and especially throughout my journey. All I can do is give it my best, and in doing that I know that things will happen as they should.

1 comment:

  1. Alyson - all I have to say is you are AMAZING!!! You truly inspire me in so many ways. Keep up the great work :)

    PS I love the fact that you no longer eat out. I need to do better about that with my husband and I.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Your love and support mean so much to me!