"Your body is the baggage you must carry through life. The more excess the baggage, the shorter the trip."
~Arnold H. Glasgow



Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Struggles Strengthen...

I've been having some struggles lately with my new lifestyle. The holiday season has once again come upon us where there are tons of wonderful, yummy goodies and such to enjoy. Oh how they tempt and tease me!lol Now normally by now being the beginning of December I would have already indulged in whatever looked good...especially anything that had chocolate in it! But this year is different and it's hard. I made it through Thanksgiving and did pretty well. But since I've been sick and not feeling my best, I'm finding it hard to get my water intake in (min. of 64oz. a day), remembering to take my daily lot of vitamins (I have to take 2 multi-vitamins, and 3 calcium citrate plus a b-12 shot every month (which is the easiest of all) and I'm trying my best not to pick at foods I shouldn't eat. I don't know about anyone else, but for me picking at food has always been a downfall of mine. It doesn't seem so bad when you're just taking little nibbles here and there right? WRONG! My little nibbles happened far too often! Before my surgery I had the tendency to graze...sometimes it was on healthy foods but the majority of the time it was on whatever sounded good... which inevitably was food that wasn't so good for me. Fast forward to having gastric bypass and not being able to graze anymore...that is a hard habit to break! Realistically I have no appetite. I actually have to remind myself to eat my 3 meals a day...which is great, but when I'm bored, or emotional, or stressed I find myself walking around the kitchen just hoping I can find something to "graze" on. Not cool! Now granted if I do end up finding something it is something I know I can have, but still...I can't let those old habits re-surface! Soon I find myself eating a cheese ball here and there and taking a bite of this and that of things that I KNOW aren't good for me....that is a big big NO-NO!


So as of today I have re-committed myself and am starting fresh. So far today I have not cheated or grazed on anything. Now granted it's only 10:30am but hey, that's a great start to my day! I ate a good nutritious breakfast, my morning vitamins have been taken,  and I'm 1/2 way through my 32oz. of water. I am finding other things to do during the times when I feel bored, emotional or stressed. What has helped me the most is focusing on doing those things that will help me draw closer to my Heavenly Father and my Savior Jesus Christ. I want to set the right example for my kids in all areas of life. I just want to be a better person. Struggles do stink, but instead of looking at them as a "means to an end", I'm looking at them as a source of strength. What doesn't kill me WILL make me stronger!


All and all I've realized once again that food is exactly that... IT'S JUST FOOD! Yes we need it to sustain us as we go throughout each day of our lives, but I WILL NOT let it take over my desires and dreams of being a healthier, happier person!

3 comments:

  1. I feel you on it all...I'm such an emotional eater!!! It's been hard since Nase has been gone, I haven't gotten to go to the gym yet...but I'd be willing to bet once you are going back to the gym and not sick, you'll be doing better. For me - it's not as much what I eat, it's if I get to go to the gym or not that makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyson - I love your new outlook on life. Keep it up! Each and every day is a battle but I KNOW you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Alyson! You can do it! Keep busy with your girls and it will help you to not think about food. Love,Ronda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Your love and support mean so much to me!